With the constant increase in cybercrime, it is a good time to remind everyone to be aware of online scammers and cyber criminals. Ashwin Pal who presented at our client seminar -“How to protect your business against cyber security threats” has these excellent simple tips that can keep you safe online:
• Only shop on secure websites: Always make sure you are at the site you want by looking for “https://www…” in the address bar. Note the “s,” means you have a secure connection to that site. Look for the lock in the address bar.
• Protect all devices: Password protect your devices including your Wi-Fi network, smartphones, and other smart devices such as smart watches or TVs. Don’t forget to use strong passwords that are at least 8 characters and a mix of letters, numbers and symbols. Where available, please use two factor authentications.
• Update your software: Make sure any apps and software you use, including your web browsers and operating software, are updated regularly. Many updates are provided to address security issues as well as new features. Failure to update may give criminals an opportunity to hack into your computer and steal data.
• Create backups: Bad things can and do happen. Regularly backup important data so that you can recover these if your computer is infected by ransomware. Never pay the ransom as there is no guarantee that you will get your data back.
• Do not fall for email scams: Don’t click on a link in an email. Clicking a link in a fraudulent email can take you to a phishing site that will look real and may fool you into entering your login information. Type in the URL instead.
With these simple tips, we can all stay safe online. Remember, if it is too good to be true, it probably is!
This article was provided by Ashwin Pal, Director – Cyber Security – APAC at Unisys